Sunday, October 4, 2009

Moonlight's Kheer


Here is one story that highlights why I love India:
Last night there was a full moon, and apparently it is quite auspicious to put kheer (the delicious rice pudding) outside so that it can soak up the moon's rays and flavor. So Papa Ji, Mami Ji and I went up on our roof with a blanket and just watched the sky, let the wind blow over us, and talked about family while we let the kheer sit out in the moonlight. Things just seemed simple, beautiful, and clear.
I have been thinking more about our excursion to the desert, and how the landscape seemed to act like a mirror. Maybe we just had so much time on the road to think, but I felt a lot of clarity in my thoughts and reflections. Listening to my iPod, certain songs carried me back to certain points in my life. I softly explored each one like a shell of a memory that used to fit so snugly...but now it doesn't quite fit anymore. I don't belong because I have grown so much since then.
Anywho, on Monday we celebrated Dussehra (the holiday on which an effigy of Ravan, the evil 10-headed demon, is burned). This particular effigy was packed with fireworks and thus caused huge explosions. Another evening this week, we had returned from visiting a school in a rural village, and some of our SIT staff had decorated our center for one of the girl's 21st birthday. We had a dance party on the balcony with lots of lights strung up, loudspeakers and a laptop for music, and lots of food. But at this rural school, I was talking with one young girl who said she wanted to become the President of India! I was thrilled and I won't forget her. They also danced for us and insisted that we dance and sing in return...we need to work on our routine... Otherwise I have been spending time with the other girls, hanging out and laughing a lot, and speaking more and more Hindi with Papa Ji and Mami Ji.
This week we turned in our rough ISP (Independent Study Project- November to December) Proposals-- it looks like I will probably be in the northern state of Uttaranchal studying solar power in the Himalayas! I'm so excited for the chance to be in the mountains...living with an organization that trains youth to install these solar panels, among other activities in the surrounding villages.
Tomorrow we head to Ranthambore National Park, which is famous for its TIGER preserve. I admire large cats, so I am excited. Unfortunately, as the demand for tiger skins, bones, and other parts is pretty high on the black market, poaching over the years has devastated the tiger population in India. At Ranthambore there may only be 15 cats left!! Also, speaking of other cats, several people here have confused "lion" with "loin," which makes it hard for me to keep a straight face.

No comments:

Post a Comment